Saturday, June 8, 2024

#NathGeo - The Grosvenor Teacher Fellowship - Day 3

Today, Deb Holcomb-Freitag and I left no bus, train, subway, or taxi unridden. 

First stop...the University of Glasgow!! I knew next to nothing about the University so I was pleasantly surprised to see this 1451-founded campus with its green grass and sandstone-colored buildings. Deb and I walked around just taking pictures in awe. 














We also budgeted time to peruse the gift shop. Since my own school is named Glasgow Middle, I couldn't resist the urge to get some merch to show my students and colleagues. It was super hard to make a decision too. Deb, in her infinite wisdom, encouraged me to get this one particular sweatshirt. The "Changing the World" was perfect, but the fact that it had the Latin motto on it too ("the way, the truth, the life")!!! I think I did the right thing. I can't wait to show my students.  










But back to my original plan - we traveled to Glasgow to visit the Hunterian Museum's Roman collection, purportedly, the best in Scotland. The museum itself has that old antiquarium feel to it, and the Roman gallery was indeed awesome. The collection contains the distance slabs that celebrate the soldier builders of the Antonine Wall. These stone plaques are unique in the Roman world!








Next up was the Falkirk Wheel, a massive boat switcher near the Roman Antonine Wall. I had DREAMED of getting here so that I could sneak off the Roman fort located nearby. The modern Wheel was an added bonus, and I have to say, one of the best things I've seen on this trip. Used to lift and lower boats between canals at different levels, it replaced a complicated and slow system of locks. What a joyful thing to see in action! You can watch my video of it here.








I had tried to come up with a way for us to get to Rough Castle Roman Fort via public transportation, but it was tricky. A train, a bus, a long walk, but we made it! This fort is one of very few in existence (another along Hadrian's Wall) that shows the usage of LILIA pits to sabotage enemy attacks. I was surprised to see the depth of the ditch in front of the wall. Somehow, pictures just don't do size justice.








We finished the day with the Kelpies, giant metal sculptures of horse heads that celebrate the historical contribution of horses in Scotland as well as nod toward their mythological significance. I did not expect to like them so much. The metal work, by artist Andy Scott, is superb, and the effect is one of creepy awe. They light up at night for different occasions and events. I'm so glad I got to see these icons of Scotland!




No comments:

Post a Comment

This Year in Roman Technology: Catapults

I never really thought much about ancient Roman catapults, to be honest. Even with 7 years of college, two classics degrees, and archaeologi...