Saturday, June 8, 2024

#NathGeo: The Grosvenor Teacher Fellowship - Day 2

Day 2 of #NathGeo - due to a plane malfunction and four-hour repair in Atlanta, I got to Edinburgh much later than I had intended. But hey, I’m always in favor of fixing the plane!

This post is all about the fantastic public transportation in the UK. I took the bus into the city from the airport - easy to find, easy to pay (and cheap), and so fun to ride. And even better - the bus driver used my favorite UK greeting, “hiya.” This bus was a double-decker so I could have climbed the stairs too. Plenty of spots for luggage, and from there, I just enjoyed the views. Then I walked for 30 minutes to our AirBnB to meet Deb Holcomb-Freitag, my shipmate and travel partner.

It's interesting to me to hear my UK friends complain about the cost of public transport, strikes, breakdowns, etc. To me, public transport is AMAZING because we don't have it in Baton Rouge. Well, we do, but it's so underfunded and thus, underused, and thus unreliable. I always feel bad for those sitting at bus stops in the Louisiana heat. It must be very hard for working people to us. This comparison has reminded me that comparisons across cultures don't always work. Sometimes, there's just too much difference.
To wrap up the day, we spent the late afternoon walking around the touristy area called the Royal Mile, near the famous Edinburgh Castle. Lots of Americans and many other nationalities present. (Taylor Swift starts a three-night run tomorrow).

Our AirBnB near Warrender Park




















Harry Potter street






No comments:

Post a Comment

This Year in Roman Technology: Catapults

I never really thought much about ancient Roman catapults, to be honest. Even with 7 years of college, two classics degrees, and archaeologi...